Wednesday, November 30, 2005

These are a Few of my Favorite Things

A friend challenged me recently to think of the things in life that truly make me happy. So here's a list, just so the whole world knows.
  • Ever stuggled with a problem, had someone explain it to you over and over until it hurts to think? And then, you find someone else to explain it and *WHAM!* you finally *get* it. That literal "OHHH! I get it!" is a pretty awesome thing to watch a kid experience. That is the reason I want to teach.
  • Clean laundry smell. Yes, it's random, but I love the smell of clean laundry.
  • Rain. Not drizzle or a downpour, but that constant grey mid-afternoon rain that goes on forever in Oregon. I love to listen to it, to be out walking in it, the rain dappling my face and oustretched hands, making millions of rings in the many street puddles, cascading down my car window as I sit, mesmerized by the many awesome properties of water.
  • I love creating. doesn't matter much what I'm working on, be it a fingerpainting, a cake, or a term paper, I love the act of creating. Especially if there is fire or glue involved. Don't ask.
  • A great song. Doesn't have to be a specific genre or by any particular artist. I like a good beat, a great voice, and a simple tune.
  • Games. Board games, card games, made-up-on-the-spot games. Not to win, not to discover, just to be there, playing with a friend.
  • Mom's christmas sugar cookies. Christmas is supposed to be about the birth of Christ, the season of giving, about family, about sharing. You take those cookies out of the equation and I'm gone. Okay, not literally, but I be very *not happy!*
  • New backpacks. I'm not a purse girl, but I love backpacks. I don't know why.
  • "Bliss." The feeling I get when I find a new Geocache.
  • The smell of Lebanon in the winter. Home.
  • Laughter. The sound of people laughing, not at anyone's expense, but just laughing, sharing a moment, a great idea. The feeling I get when I make an old person break their "wise old person" face into a big grin and hearty chuckle at a silly joke.
  • I love accomplishment, not to gain praise or have pride, but to know that I *did* something. Which is not something I can say for my seminar paper at the moment.
  • Dancing. The feeling of controlled movements that roll together into a fluid harmony. Not talking about strict waltzes... any dance that allows me to free the inner spirit.
  • Writing. Putting words, thoughts, emotions, ideas, *myself* onto paper.
  • I love photography. A great picture isn't worth a thousand words... a great picture doesn't need words. I love those pictures that keep your attention for hours, wondering if any human has ever sat on the clouds or touched the little stream or seen past the dark circles of eyes into the soul.
  • Men: David James Elliott, Johnny Depp, Jake Gyllenhaal, Kevin Spacey, Colin Farrell, George Clooney... the list will be updated later.
  • I should put family and friends on this list, but I hope you know you're all more important to me than a silly list... that all I have to say about that.
  • Blog comments. To know that someone out there read my drivel and cared enough to make a comment. That's the highlight for every blogger. *hint hint*

2 comments:

Patrick said...

Admit it, sometimes it just feels good to get out of your ruts and think of the things that put a smile on your face.

:)

Michael Faris said...

No hint needed. Johnny Depp. Rarr! ;)