Thursday, March 09, 2006

A Deer in Headlights

I had the most awesome experience last Friday, and I'm sorry I didn't get this posted sooner, but I've been ultra-busy. I'll do my best to summarize this up, but I am still on a teaching high even after a full week.

Imagine yourself on a wet, windy morning. You just woke up and can't decide if the headache you have is a hangover or simple dehydration; regardless, it feels like your head is going to burst with one more thought. You drive the short distance to school, wade through the throng of blossoming teenagers horrendously picking on one another, and climb the stairs to the distant and quiet classroom where you are to begin your teaching observations for the next two periods. That's about when the good part ends. You show up to the classroom, but the room is locked. You wait outside, knocking occasionally in the hope that either A) the figment of your imagination inside the room will magically unlock the door for you, or B) a teacher from down the hallway will hear the incessant knocking and come out to let you in the room. Right, Option B. So you get in the room and the teacher is not there. Your supervising teacher is not in her classroom. And class starts in 10 minutes. 8 minutes. 2 minutes. Panic. Okay, well, what to do? Maybe she'll show up. Maybe there is a substitute. Yes, that must be it. The class will be taught by a substitute and the sub is just down in the office. First bell rings. Students pour into the classroom. Thirty of them, loud and ready to kill me. What to do? A) Panic. B) Run away screaming. C) Teach.

I could have done option B, I really wanted to do option B. But a little part of me went, "Oh, hey, stupid deer in headlights, you know how to handle this, now teach! I did. The kids came in, I got them started on their journal topics, took attendance, sent a kid down to the office with the attendance, we discussed the journal topics and began working on the day's worksheet after some quick Q&A. No problem, not one problem. About ten minutes into the period, the vice principal comes into the room and inquires as to the whereabouts of the teacher. I replied that I was a student teacher from OSU and was only going to be present through the end of 2nd period. She left. I taught the entire class by myself! Awesome, amazing, thrilling experience. 2nd period was equally incredible. I left, and I'm not sure who taught the rest of the classes, but I was on such a teaching high for the next week... holy cow. I LOVE TEACHING! And I don't suck at it like I thought I would. Granted, this wasn't my classroom, and the kids were very receptive and well-behaved. But I was TEACHING! They were asking questions, inquiring about science... wow. Just... wow.

AHHHHHHHH! I HAVE A PASSION! I LOVE IT! :oD ...yay me!

Update: The graduate school lady said that, even if I raise my GPA to whatever it is they want and gain teaching experience, I would probably not be accepted to the grad program at OSU. She suggested I look elsewhere for my education.

Plan B: Obtain teaching credentials and begin teaching ASAP post graduation.

To those that believed in me along the way, thank you so much. Your support has kept me going and held me fast to my course. I can only hope to make you proud of me as a graduate and future teacher.

To those who do not believe I am capable of teaching or finishing my master's degree right now, I am sorry. You are missing out on one awesome kid, a great investment, and someone worthy of further development. I am truly sorry for your loss.

No comments: