Tuesday, March 14, 2006

The Value of Being Well-Rounded

My parents taught me that having one interest in life is fine, but it makes one quite boring. So I've always tried to have multiple interests, engage in varied activities, and seek unique experiences.

For example (and I've had to write papers on this already), I want to be a science teacher. I adore science, but science is not the end-all to my existence. Biology and Chemistry are awesome subjects, truly incredible and fun. But what good are hard sciences without real life experience? How important will a textbook be if one cannot read? I believe I would like to teach 4th or 5th grade so that I can teach all subjects, not just science. History and literature can be just as fun as science, and music is awesome as well. Art? Oh yeah baby, art rocks!

Yeah, I'm a musician... I've done the whole music thing for a while now... not that I'm any good mind you, I can play a few songs with a decent level of un-sucky-ness. But in addition to being able to play any woodwind and percussion instrument, I'm not half-bad in the woods. Give me a GPS, a good pair of hiking shoes, and a few dozen oatmeal M&M cookies and I'm a happy kid.

Cooking, cleaning, reading, writing, solving problems, thinking creatively, being fun and goofy, being serious and stubborn... I believe in the value of being a well-rounded person.

Okay, I'm not a round person, I'm kind of oblong and stick-like, but you get the idea... ;)

No comments: