Friday, March 24, 2006

A Word About Religion

I was not raised going to church every Sunday, nor did we observe very many religious holidays with more than a glancing notice (Christmas excluded). I was never formally baptized, though I believe the event did occur in another way, and I do consider myself Christian. My faith is strong, my intentions are generally pure, and I do strive to be a good person (sorry if that's ambiguous, it's just what it is).

The questions recently posed to me: "What will you do if the person you intend to marry has a different religious philosophy than you? How will you raise your children?"

I really had to think about that for a bit. First, I would never consider marrying someone I wasn't "religiously compatible" with, but seeing as how I'm sort of a Christian Mutt, it's not hard for me to blend with any denomination. As with my upbringing, I would like my children to have the option of choosing a church for themselves, an opportunity to experience all that religion has to offer. But if I find "Mr. Perfect," and he's a church-goer, I will stand by him and accept his church as mine, or we will find another one together. It's more important to have a relationship with God out of church than inside anyway, so it doesn't matter much to me which church I'm in, be it Catholic or Episcopalian or Methodist... Furthermore, I will raise my children to be good people, church or no.

A shared vision is more important than the name of the church or the people inside. It will be my honor to share in my future husband's church and beliefs if he has them. If not, I still have mine, and nobody will change that part of me. :)

See, I'm learning to pick my battles... it all starts with knowing which battles to pick...

1 comment:

Matthew said...

I agree. I think in raising kids who have parents who believe different things, it's best to give the children an experience of both sides. Each person must choose their faith; if not, it's not their faith!
I see no reason why a Christian and Jew cannot live well enough together, or Christian and athiest, or whathave you. It's all about respect and love. Who's to say which way is right and which way is wrong?