Monday, April 03, 2006

Chats and Classes

Ah yes, the first day of my last term in college. What a day!

My day actually started very early, or rather, yesterday ended very late so I was exhausted on five hours of sleep when I awoke around 7:30 this morning to a bright, shiny sun. Seriously, what is that thing doing in the window before I want to get up!? GO AWAY!

I gathered up my stuff and made it to class at 10am: HDFS313, Adolescent Development. First, no, I don't really care about this class. It is the only required class of the term. I don't want to be there, I don't want to learn the material. Just as I sat down, an old classmate sat down next to me. It has been two years since I've had a class with him, so it was nice to catch up. But he's distracting. Note to self: sit FAR from this person. Sit next to the SED413 kids from last term who are all in HDFS313 with me this term. :)

As a side note, I was challenged to consider my own adolescence. How do I feel about it now that I'm more-or-less an "adult"? I look back with fond memories and a few nightmares, but mostly it was a good time. Never had any troubles or issues, gracefully slid through puberty... actually, it doesn't seem like very long ago at all. Puberty itself took me about ten years, kind of backward (but then I get into TMI territory and I just can't do that here), and while I'm sort of a nut mentally (figuratively), I'm quite normal. I'm probably more socially awkward now than I ever was in middle school... so yeah, adolescence was a nice time where I grew and learned and loved and fought and failed and succeeded. I wonder how I will look back on my 20's...

I had an hour break between classes, so I picked up my financial aid check and sat down in the Commons to read through the first paragraph of a course packet. Was people watching more than anything. :) Was watching outside when one of my ENG495/595 classmates spied me - he came in and we had a nice talk. You should check out his blog here.

Next up, three dance classes in a row. Which means listening to the same basic syllabi three times in a row. ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz *thud* Ballroom Club seems like it will be fun - I'm stoked to learn how to Hustle later in the term. Also, my instructor has so much energy! I get a lesson in pedagogy every time I'm in class just by watching her, plus I get a dance lesson--it's like a two-for-one deal. She is also teaching my second hour of class, Ballroom II. We danced a little bit in BRII, and I was lucky enough to snag one of my favorite partners for a Tango. *swoon* He's a great dancer and good lead, not to mention adorable and funny. The third class was Salsa I. OOOH, we learned how to count to three! 1...2...8. No, I mean 5. Wait a second... seriously. "Find the beat," the teacher (a different one that the first) told us, "listen to the music and find the beat." Find the beat yourself, you crazy weirdo, you're off by half a count. This is my pet peeve in dancing classes. I can't stand being offbeat. It's hard enough that I must begin on the WRONG foot (I lead left, not right, but in dance, follows lead right) and am offstep the whole damn song, let alone being offbeat! $#@! Anyway, I was always the first one to find the beat and was bored throughout the class. Good news: another girl has these same three classes with me and we were both ready to kill, so I'm glad I'm not the only one going through this.

An agonizing seven hours since I'd eaten anything of substance, I arrived to my last class of the day, ES345, Native Americans in Oregon. The only thing I have to say is this: When you are already looking at the clock ten minutes into the first lecture of the term, it's going to be a long term.

So I came home with a massive headache and tried to lay down for a bit, but my blog and dinner beckoned. There you have it folks, the grand beginning to what will be the end. It has been a long (but mostly fun) day.

1 comment:

Whit-O said...

nice imagery in your little bloggy... hehehe