Friday, April 21, 2006

A Question of Femininity

Do I really strike you as fashion-conscious? Do you think I know what goes with what? I wear blue jeans and t-shirts more often than not. All of my clothes go with all of my other clothes, so when I get up in the morning I simply select a bottom and a top and walk out the door. Honestly, if it takes me longer than ten minutes to get ready, it's already a bad day. That includes poking little pieces of hydrophilic plastic in my eyes and making my bed. On the weekends, when I have to get up for work at o'dark hundred, I can be from my nice warm bed to my iced-over car in less than seven minutes. High maintenance I think NOT.

I have owned one can of hairspray in my life, and I don't even own a curling iron. Until three months ago, I'd never purchased nail polish, and I only got it recently as part of a costume. I do wear a little make-up occasionally, not that anyone can even tell... it doesn't make sense to me to put on a face that isn't mine. I have one bottle of shampoo and one bottle of conditioner in the shower -- how much more do I need?

Sometimes I wonder about my femininity. I don't flounce around in pink and lace. I don't like being treated like a princess, and I'm not shy or sweet. I'm not particularly unfeminine to any degree either though. How can I define my style of femininity? I don't really know where I fit into the continuum of {Princess---Butch} because each circumstance reveals a different element in my character. Is that good? I'm worried that sometimes I'm seen as too much of one over the other when, in reality, I'm not really either. Is there a word for that? Am I a well-rounded female or the antithesis of well-rounded while not being at either end of the continuum?

I wouldn't write this down, except it has always bugged me, so it is, therefore, important.

1 comment:

Mom of Three said...

Heck, I don't get out of my pajamas most of the time. Compared to me, you're Prada.