Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Old People Friends

Friend (n): a person whom one knows, likes, and trusts.

I have always had a hard time meeting people and making friends. The very few friends I do have are incredible people that I've known for quite a while (over ten years in a couple cases). My friendships run deep and true, carefully bonded and maintained.

People ask me if I ever get lonely with so few friends. I always reply, no, not really. My close friends are good at keeping me out of despair. I have some friends my own age and some that are much older than me.

More than anything, I take a lot of teasing for having "old people" as friends. Indeed, they are old. They are in their 70s, 80s, even 90s... they have lived long lives full of adventure, struggle, success, and laughter. I work for them, and I am happy to serve them. They are my friends. I know them, I like them, and I trust them. Often, I seek their advice and wisdom about my own life--especially about big things like boys and work and dancing. Times have changed considerably in a few years... so sometimes I have to take what they say with a grain of salt, but the love we share is unlike anything I can explain. Old people are just... cool.

I love my job. I love my residents. I hate it when they die. But that's part of the job and part of life. My friends have a higher turn-over rate than most people. I've lost many close friends. But I knew that when I befriended them. It's a chance and risk I'm willing to live with. I would rather have a GREAT friend for a short time to share my life with than to never have that relationship in the first place.

Don't tell me "old people are not your friends." They are my dear friends, and I am proud to say I have old people as well as young people as my friends.

No comments: