Monday, June 05, 2006

Ballroom Dancing

I have fallen in love with ballroom dancing. Surprisingly, I'm fairly coordinated on a dance floor... provided I have a solid lead and the floor isn't too crowded. I enjoy being held, especially by the cute boys. :) Not a huge fan of sweating and being so dizzy I could drop, but I absolutely adore dancing. Knew I would, too. Grew up watching the dance competitions on OPB every year, dreaming about floating across the floor, watching my parents learn to do some country western dancing when I was very little... I'm so thankful to have had the opportunity to learn to dance!

Not sure "mastery" is the word I'd use to describe my ballroom competence, but anything I know, I know well. Included in my repertoire of "well, I tried it and can follow it, but generally I suck at it:" West Coast Swing, Salsa, Samba, and Balboa Swing. I am quite proficient with Waltz, Single-time Swing, Merengue, Foxtrot, Tango, Cha Cha, Viennese Waltz, Lindy Hop, Nightclub Two-Step, and Hustle.

Favorites depend on the song and partner, but I really enjoy a nice Tango and fast Swing. I'll never turn down a Hustle or Waltz though, and I find something irresistable about Cha Cha.

Saturday night was the last formal dance of the year. I wore my full-length navy satin ballgown. Was definitely the most formally dressed girl, thought that doesn't mean I looked the best, certainly not. I danced hard all night. Every song I knew the steps to, I danced. Can't remember all the dances, but I'd love to send thanks to Derrick, Daniel, and Mike for three incredible Two-Steps; a hug to Kenny for improv-ing a delightful Waltz and correcting my feeble attempt at a now-much-better Viennese Waltz (I can do it!); to Anthony, Chris, and Aaron for some fun Lindy Hopping; to Aaron for laughing at me through a Merengue; to Doug for once again Swinging me all over the floor; and to my best dances of the night, hugs and kisses to Anthony, Mike, and Paul for amazing Hustles. Thanks to the rest of the guys I can't remember... sorry! I had a great time.

Unfortunately, I'm graduating, and this whole dancing thing will sort of disappear from my life soon. Most sad. But I've had a great time meeting people, learning new steps, and dancing my nights away. SO MUCH FUN IT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL, but I'm so glad it's not. :P

1 comment:

Dancingnurse said...

Oh, please don't let your dancing slip away! The skills you've learned can be taken with you throughout your entire life! Ballroom dancing has been around for a very long time, and while it's popularity declines from time to time, it will never completely go away.

www.ballroom-dancing.blogspot.com

Keep on dancing!