Friday, July 28, 2006

My New Compy

My parents agreed that, as a gift for completing my undergraduate studies, they would assist in the purchase of a new computer (meaning, I'm a spoiled brat and they're buying it for me, though I am wholly apreciative and understand the practicality of such a thoughtful gift).

Seeing that my monitor, speakers, keyboard, and mouse are very good, it would not make sense for me to order a package deal from Dell or Gateway. Also, due to my determination to learn enough about computers to build one myself, I've created what I believe to be a quality machine.

Please review this list and make suggestions as you wish. I caution that I am attempting to build this computer and include software for a total price not to exceed $1,000.

CASE: Cooler Master Centurion 5 CAC-T05-WW Black/Silver Aluminum Bezel, SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS A8N5X Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard

PROCESSOR: AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 2000MHz HT 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939

MEMORY: Patriot Signature Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit (times two)

HARD DRIVE: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

VIDEO CARD: XFX PV-T73G-UDD3 Geforce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16

SOUND CARD: Creative Sound Blaster SB0570 Audigy SE 7.1 Ch. 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface

POWER SUPPLY: Enermax Whisper II EG465P-VE FMA(24) ATX12V 460W

Feel free to respond either via e-mail or as a comment. I VERY MUCH welcome criticism, especially advice on WHY you would or would not purchase what I have selected. I do, however, reserve the right to ignore you. :) Thanks a ton for any and all help. I hope to acquire these parts and software by mid-August.

2 comments:

Uninformed Decision-Making said...

Looks nice and spiffy to me, Fair Maiden. Just make sure your motherboard shall allow your RAM to operate properly, in Dual Channel mode, when you have 2-pair of them. 'Tis but a simple check of examination the manual. A most excellent choice in graduation celebratory practices, indeed!

Chris said...

As a former employee of Intel and a holder of a bit of their stock, I have to say that I frown on the AMD processor, but nobody is perfect (including myself).
Look how I commented on your blog, wouldn't it be sweet if you commented on mine?

Chris