Thursday, August 10, 2006

Field Burning and Thoughtful Colors

I was motivated enough today to make a cake and change the oil in my car. My sister dragged me a town away to go shopping; I followed her dutifully and picked out items for her to try on, hopefully the right ones, and tried to keep my mouth shut as much as possible. I really don't like shopping, especially browsing. We had a very nice lunch though, out for pasta and salad at a brand new favorite restaurant. My ear is still bothering me, but less so. I don't know what's wrong, but since it's getting better and there is no pain involved, I am not going to fuss much. Finally had a call back and set up an interview for next week - I'm a little excited, though very realistic about the whole interview thing. Very blah otherwise.

Field burning increased this week, and with the wind blowing most of the smoke right over town, we haven't had much daylight after noon. The air is thick and the dust is awful. My white car is a nasty grey right now... I'm tempted to leave the soot since it'll block a lot of sun damage. ;) Little black pieces of charred grass, sometimes clumps as large as my hand fall everywhere. I spotted fire damage a few hundred yards from my house when Rachel and I went for a hike on Wednesday: some blackberries got awfully warm in a hurry. Rachel filled me in on all of her fire crew experience on a recent forest fire. I'm a little jealous she gets to do what she loves for a living already... we're not even 25 and she struck gold. But my time will come.

I have six blog posts in the works... they're sort of themed, but I have to flesh them out quite a bit before they'll make sense to anyone but myself. I don't know if I've mentioned this on my blog yet: I think in colors. Instead of thinking in words and thoughts that make sense verbally, I see colors and shapes that represent ideas in my head. Sometimes it takes me a while to translate what I'm thinking into something I can communicate clearly, especially if I'm confused. I suppose sometimes I do think in words, or else the translation happens so fast I don't notice it. Oh, and when I think of my friends, I often associate them with a color instead of picturing their face. I think it makes my macho army friend mad that he's a pink blob in my head. :P The colors don't mean anything--they're kind of arbitrary and sometimes change. If you want to know your color, comment/e-mail me.

Hmmm, I could clean the house, watch a movie, or blog more... bring on the cleaning fumes!

No comments: