Friday, August 04, 2006

Geekdom

I reached the bottom end of boredom today... after my daily ritual of combing employment ads, websites, and the like, I played canasta for two hours against the computer. I won, again. I also played the piano for a good while this morning; that seemed to lift my spirits quite a bit.

Depressing week, just depressing. Lots of reasons, a few I won't mention. Perhaps this is one of those normal lows, perhaps I'm justified in my unhappiness, or maybe I'm crazy. :) In the words of GIR, "I dooooooon't knoooooow." (I've seen too much Zim lately.)

Mom and I went Geocaching on Thursday: we got all five we went after! A new personal best, thanks to Mom's amazing geosenses. Seriously, she'd walk up to a log and go, "stick your hand in there, I bet it's in there." So I did *cringe* and it was. She had fun. :) I just wanted to get out of the house.

I came across a quote a while back that I've been holding on to. Part of me has always struggled with my geekiness (the best form of birth control, by the way, I've tested it) and the extent to which I share how nerdy I can be at times. I'm not afraid of being smart, but I lack the same certain social skills as so many nerds/geeks. This quote made me smile. :)

"Forget trying to pass for normal. Follow your geekdom. Embrace your nerditude. In the immortal words of Lafcadio Hearn, a geek of incredible obscurity whose work is still in print after a hundred years, "Woo the muse of the odd." . . . You may be a geek. You may have geek written all over you. You should aim to be one geek they'll never forget. Don't aim to be civilized. Don't hope that straight people will keep you on as some kind of pet. To hell with them. You should fully realize what society has made of you and take a terrible revenge. Get weird. Get way weird. Get dangerously weird. Get sophisticatedly, thoroughly weird, and don't do it halfway. Put every ounce of horsepower you have behind it. . . . Don't become a well rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a pufferfish." -Bruce Sterling

No comments: