Saturday, September 09, 2006

Grandparents, Nightmares, and Owwies

I had this crazy dream a few nights ago about my credit card. For some reason, I dreamed that I'd taken pictures of my credit card and blogged my credit card numbers for someone to steal. I even got online as soon as I got up to check my own blog to make sure this was not the case. LOL, talking about freaking out over nothing. I'm so weird...

Somehow, I managed to pull a muscle yesterday while sitting on my fat ass all day long. I don't know what I did, or how it happened, but I'm sore. My back is a ball of fire still, too. The heating pad helped last night, might try that again. My stupid knee is fighting me more lately. A genetic curse compounded by injury, so I'll never fully recover. Aleve is my friend. :)

Today was busy. Mom and I drove to see Grandma and Grandpa, and while we were over there, Mom, Aunt Patti, Grandma, and I toured three retirement communities. Grandma and Grandpa are currently living in their own home, but they depend heavily upon Mom and her four siblings (primarly Mom and Aunt Pam since they live so close) and a couple close friends to do just about everything. The family is trying to make decisions now while everyone is ready and able to make sound decisions instead of waiting until something must be done. Truth is, that time really isn't far off. Since I worked in a retirement facility for almost five years, I offered to compile data on local facilities for the family. Calls, tours, information... I organized a very good spreadsheet for everyone. I'm glad they included me in the tours--I saw more the second time that I didn't see the first time. Wish I could be more help, but I'm not sure I could do more than what Mom and Aunt Pam do for them. Glad I'm not having to make these big decisions.

Grandma and Grandpa have a difficult living situation as it is, and their personalities and level of care needed don't always mix. Seeing that I'm unemployed and able to help, it might prove beneficial to be there more, for me to perhaps even live with them. That said, I'm definitely not qualified to provide that level of care, plus it'd be a 24/7 job. I'd never get a day off. And it would only be a temporary fix to an ongoing problem.

Something has to happen, or, like Mom told me in the car on the way home, we're all going to need some therapy by the time this is all over.

I can't tell if it's a "three Coke day" or a "five chocolate day..." oh, Hell...I need a drink...

3 comments:

Uninformed Decision-Making said...

I've offered several times to work on your back but your best response thus far has been "maybe" when I asked if it still needed working on. Apparantly, it does indeed. Might I inquire as to the nature of your distraughtness toward my offer of care?

Jaggy said...

I am not "distraught" so much as "adversely located." Seeing that you're there and I'm here, any "offers of care" come with a pricetag: travel time and expense. I'd never put the burden of you traveling to me when I'm the one whining. And I am only there once per week, assumably to dance. Therefore, your offers have gone noticed but not accepted. My apologies for dragging the saga out.

Uninformed Decision-Making said...

Quick fixes between dances can be benefitial, you know. Alternatively, "burden" is a relative term anyway...Instead of "driving for 1/2 hour to care for your back" why not "drive for 1/2 hour to visit a friend, perhaps massaging whilst there [as sooo often is the case when I visit my friends]?"

Drawn and quartered sagas can be fun...now to write you a facebook essay.