Sunday, November 26, 2006

Free-Range Twinkies

I'm so tired of eating! I'm not sure if this tradition is national, cultural, or familial, but I've been eating constantly for four days. Great food, don't get me wrong, my mother has kept me up to my neck in homemade goodness. But it felt really nice this afternoon to actually feel hungry.

My coworkers were making fun of me before the holiday because I don't eat mayonnaise, mustard, salad dressing, or gravy. Apparently that makes me weird. They almost died when I told them I put applesauce on my macaroni and cheese. Just a little bit, and cold applesauce with hot mac and cheese is one of those flavor/texture combinations you have to experience to understand. TASTY! I do like ketchup, and I'll put ketchup on pretty much any meat, from chicken fingers to steak, and almost always on potatoes (except hash browns). And ranch dressing is tolerable in small quantities. I won't eat any side-salad thingies like potato salad or macaroni salad or that awful Top Ramen cabbage nightmare. No BBQ sauce, no cream sauce, no teriyaki sauce, no special sauce, not even soy sauce. I like my sandwiches dry. I like my bread and rolls plain, especially day-old cornbread. All of my meat must be fully cooked, either beef, venison, fish, or chicken--no pork. I will not eat tomatoes or citrus fruit. I do not like olives, any legumes, or peppers. I only eat vegetables raw, except broccoli and green beans which I'll eat just about any way you can cook them plain. My cheese must come from cows, but I'm not terribly fond of drinking milk. And "ethnic" food is pretty much out of the question.

"Wow, you're so picky! You must be horrible to take out!" Actually, I'm a cheap date. :) I generally order the same things no matter where I go, and they're often the cheapest things on the menu, so I'm great to take out. Same thing goes for eating at home. Grandma always told me it was bad to be picky. I like cheap food more often than expensive stuff, and I don't need extra flavorings, so my food is less expensive to begin with. I'm not blindly picky either: I've tried a lot of different food, and I'm totally okay with not liking some foods.

I don't necessarily try to buy organic foods, but I will definitely try to buy local food if I can, especially produce. I swear, if somebody came up with a "free-range Twinkie," I'd be set, LOL!

Do you have any weird food habits, likes, or dislikes? (Anonymous postings allowed!)

4 comments:

The Guy Who Writes This said...

Dang Jaggy, no wonder you are in such good shape, like a dancer. Just don't work up to purging for your art.

Jaggy said...

LOL, no worries there! While it sounds like I eat "healthy," the truth is that I enjoy sweets entirely too much. I'll have to do a whole post just about my love of chocolate. And no, I'm not in good shape. I'm very much not athletic. I'm getting tired after one or two dances now instead of one or two hours of dancing... I don't have the body of a dancer, I have the body of a high-metabolism geek. :)

The Guy Who Writes This said...

I think a high metabolism geek and a dancers body can be the same. It depends on the feet. If your feet are destroyed, you have a dancers body, good feet and you are a H-M Geek.

Jaggy said...

I don't like feet. But I guess one could say mine are healthy. I do take care of them...

if only that six-pack would come out of hibernation...