Wednesday, January 17, 2007

"For more information on this story, see our website..."

How about you just tell me all the news while I'm watching it, k?

I'm tired of news channels telling part of a story, hitting the high points, and then pushing the viewer off to their website for the whole story. Like with breaking news or school closures: instead of just telling viewers what schools are closed, news stations announce it down on the ticker or simply refer viewers to their website. I didn't turn the TV on for you to tell me to go to my computer. Or, my most favorite one: a channel broadcasts a local news story at five o'clock, replays it at six-thirty or eleven o'clock, and then rewrites it verbatim online. They tell viewers to go online for "more information," but viewers are sent to a transcript of the original broadcast. What happened to "more information"?

News people? Can you just tell me the news, the whole news, and nothing but the news? Is that too much to ask?

No comments: