Thursday, February 08, 2007

"And Then They Slept"

I think it's a generational thing.

Back in the day (we're not talking very long ago), if a young woman said she spent the night with a young man, everyone assumed they were having sex. To my parents' generation, this would be true. To my grandparents' generation, this would have been an extreme taboo. And to those of the Victorian Era, wholly immoral. But to my generation, it's normal.

The first time I "spent the night" with a guy, we didn't really talk about it. We watched a movie, then watched another, and then a third very early in the morning, and then he asked if he could stay with me in my bed. I knew he wasn't intending to have sex, so I agreed. That was our first date. We dated four months, and he stayed several times. No sex. This idea absolutely stunned Grandma. She does not understand how two people can sleep in the same bed and not have sex.

Literally sleeping with someone is possible. I've done it. There is nothing immoral or improper about it. The Bible doesn't reference this (because way back in that day, people could have been burned at the stake for it or something...), and popular culture doesn't even make a passing remark about it because it's so trivial to our society ('And Then They Slept,' coming to a theater near you!). I've "spent the night" with a few guys, a short and distinguished list, and I am all the better for it. I enjoy falling asleep cuddled up in my boyfriend's arms, and I like waking up next to him. Of course, I'm not saying I'm a saint, but telling details would not be lady-like at all. :)

Awww, now I wish I had somebody to cuddle with tonight!

4 comments:

browse said...

"Sleeping together" has a richer history in the annals of dating and courting than you might imagine. As an example, check out this.

The Guy Who Writes This said...

Wake Up Little Suzie...that's what that song was about as well.

Jaggy said...

Thank you so much for the link!

Jaggy said...

Mr. Guy, you posted at the exact same time I did. Sheesh! And thanks for getting that song stuck in my head (I mean, not thanks). :P