Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Blogging about Blogging

Sometimes I have a hard time remembering why I started this blog. I didn't do it to be popular, nor did I ever expect anyone else to actually read it. I wasn't out to make money, and I didn't really know what to write about. Slowly, the posts rolled out. If you notice, way way back at the beginning, I only posted a few times every month. Then they started happening bi-weekly. Now, I post usually post once each day, although more if I'm feeling inspired and less if I'm busy.

I go back and read those older posts now and then, and I'm reminded of who I was while I was writing. I wasn't writing for you, and I wasn't writing to sound important or intelligent. My posts are about my life, my loves, my adventures, and difficulties. I think one of the reasons blogging comes naturally to me is that I am rather open about my life.

My friends live far away from me, and I don't want to run to them every time I want to think something through. Writing and blogging allows me that opportunity to think "aloud," and sometimes I get feedback. Sometimes I get nice comments, and sometimes I get awesome comments!

For all the ways that I'm open about myself, there are a few things that you won't read here:

-Politics. Rarely will I post about politics. I can't stand politics, politicians, and the whole game of destroying your adversary publicly. I refuse to debate political topics here, and I honestly couldn't care less what you think about that. However, I can and do hold political viewpoints. I just don't blog about them.

-Religion. Yes, I have a blog section dedicated to religion. There have been a few posts, but I've been careful not to get preachy. What I believe is my business, and I don't think I ought to be forcing it down your throat. If you want to know, ask. I'm not hiding who I am, but I'm also not going to point out how we're possibly different.

-My (nonexistent) sex life. I'm absolutely open about being a virgin. And I have spoken at some length about the guys I've dated on the blog. But what I do with those guys doesn't really concern you. Anyway, you wouldn't want to hear it: "how quaintly seventh grade," you'd say.

-Poetry. I know, I know... I have a poetry section, too. But like I said before: people don't comment on other people's poetry. People are afraid of poetry. I don't write it often, and when I do, I don't necessarily want people to see it. Like religion, poetry may appear from time to time and if you don't like it, don't read it.

-Work. Well, not the people or exactly what I do. Posting publicly about the people I work with, however much I love them, isn't appropriate. And while I love my job, I'm not going to tell you where it is or what I do. You might see rants about work, but they'll be general rants. I'd probably rant about the exact same thing anywhere else. I really do like my job. :)

But everything else... that's all up for grabs. From how I do my laundry to my pre-bedtime rituals to the funny thing I heard last night, it's probably all on here somewhere. I blog. And sometimes I have no idea why.

No comments: