Thursday, April 12, 2007

Be a Good Blogger

I blog. I try to be a responsible blogger, but sometimes things get a little out of hand. Recently, I made a comment on a blog that was misinterpreted. Sarcasm doesn't go over the blog-waves very well, and being a sarcastic person, the meaning was lost in translation. I received an angry reply, and posted something in return myself, but then deleted both the first and last comments. I didn't feel the need to justify myself or say anything more. The damage was done.

The anonymity created by blogs is deceiving. I post here every day. My connection is between my head, the keyboard, and the screen. What you read are thoughts--my thoughts--the things I choose to put here. I don't necessarily think long and hard about every word. I don't know who you are, where you are, what you think, or if you will like what I write, so I have to shoot from the hip and hope for the best.

But then again, several of you actually know me. Some of you know that I'm not really "Jaggy."
If you know where to look, you could probably get a lot of personal information here about me and figure out who I am. If I say something offensive, I'm anything but safe. Accountability is hard when you can't see the consequences.

As I have learned so well this week, blogging is a choice and decision. Being smart, being responsible and accountable for what you say is also important, though. It's okay to say whatever you want to say--as long as you know that it might come back to bite you later.

4 comments:

Mom of Three said...

I have my real blog and my fluffy blog so I won't piss off my mother or mother-in-law with my real feelings. If either one of them ever sees motherhoodishell, I'm screwed.

thartill said...

Scammer!

I have no secret blogs...maybe I better start one.....
Are you OregonCoast also?

Cause that is my name on DailyKos.....someone must have stole one of them....I got mine in May of 95.

thatrtill said...

er...2005....

The Guy Who Writes This said...

An occasional slip is almost always forgotten and forgiven, but someone who is a consistant A-hole is always in the spotlight.

So don't worry, they'll get over it.