Sunday, April 15, 2007

The Big City - Again

Yet another adventure to Portland! Mom, Dad, and I drove up to visit Powell's City of Books, to eat at Sweet Tomatoes, and to get out of the house. :)

Powell's is very big. I love libraries and bookstores, but this place was... big always seems like such a small word to describe what I mean. I tried very hard to remember the authors of the books I was looking for, but there were a few I just couldn't remember. In all, I spent forty-five minutes wandering aisle to aisle looking at books. Ended up getting three books, all of them quite cheap compared to buying them online.

Portland is such an odd place for me. I am not used to seeing different types of businesses smashed up against one another. Here, there is a section for residential, a block for industrial... there, it's just a jumble. All around, I saw concrete and brick. There is no room for green in the city. I don't think I could live in a place with so many people either. Diversity is fine, and having so many opportunities is great, but I don't like having to watch my back all the time. I'm aware and careful here--I don't wander around alone very often--but that basic trust in people disappears (for me) in the big city. And I can't believe how expensive parking is! Ugh. A trip to the smelly, crowded, noisy city is more than enough to make me thankful for little ol' Lebanon. :)

We ran into Sur la Table for a few minutes. I enjoy the occasional kitchen store--this one was fancy! and expensive. Anybody need a spatula for $15? or a baking pan for $50? Ugh.

Two pictures here: the first is of a building... I really liked how the clouds reflected in the windows. The second is of some neat metalwork fish not far from a small "park."

And then I came home, washed my grey car back into it's natural white color, and started reorganizing my stacks of books. That was, until TH started distracting with some instant messaging...

1 comment:

Mom of Three said...

Powell's! Suh-weet!!! I love our jaunts into Portland. It's about 1.5 hours from here, so we don't go often. My heart is still in San Francisco, but Portland is awfully cool.