Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Gettin' Ranty

Being young doesn't mean I'm stupid, ignorant, or immature. This fact is largely ignored by people around me every day. I work with older people (not old, older). I interact with and am friends with many people older than me. I wouldn't mind it, except they don't seem to be willing to give me a chance to prove myself. I function best in a personal challenge, a chance to show someone what I can do. I'm educated (more than book smarts), ask questions (too often, really), and can communicate an idea effectively. Why, then, knowing this, are adults so hesitant to allow me to shine? I don't mind starting at the bottom, and I don't mind menial tasks. I'm not asking to run anything or oversee anything... just some trust and faith.

I'm tired of being lectured to. If I wanted a lecture, I'd either go back to school or find my parents and screw up in front of them. It makes me sick when someone assumes something instead of asking a question or keeping their mouth shut.

OH! And I'm tired of political shit. I don't care to discuss politics or talk about people. I don't care who has a family, who supports abortion, or who is or isn't giving X amount to charity. Don't get me wrong, I care about the issues, but I don't like to discuss them. I'm not ignorant: in high school, I studied history, government, and social science more than anything else (including music, art, and science). I just don't feel the need to share with you my opinion of a measure or candidate. If you ask, I might say something, but I won't go out of my way to talk. And if you try to force me to talk, or if you try to convince me of your opinions... I'll either take the opposite stance just to piss you off or ignore you entirely.

I'm also pretty fed up with people judging other people. We all do it, myself included. The challenge lies in not doing it. Unless you know the person very well, and understand the whole situation that directly impacts you, STFU. Judge your own family, maybe your friends... and leave the rest of us alone.

Hmm, sounds kinda like one o' Mr. Guy's "Sick Days" in here... ;)

6 comments:

THartill said...

You're on a fine line between Love and Hate
They're just testing Ya, Don't take the Bait
There's just to much on your mind and on you're plate
Don't be rushing to age, it's worth the wait
Soon you'll be really old, like me I'm 28
So jot down April 3rd, today's date
Cause April 4th there will be all Love and no Hate.

Jaggy said...

Wow. I'm speechless! Thanks for the taking the time to write me a rhyme (I swear I didn't mean for that to happen).

th said...

The mountain I climb
To write this rhyme
Didn't really take much time
My head is full of dirt and grime
Leaves a bitter taste like lime
Some say it should be a crime
I say only if you make a dime
Like acting it out like a mime
And now I'm out of "ime" rhymes....

Jaggy said...

You have outdone yourself, TH. I am in awe of your rhyming abilities. I am also a bit confused, being under the impression you weren't into poetry...

I bet you could have come up with your own "100 Things" list in the time it took you to write those poems. :P I'm waiting... ;)

TH said...

I did say I would post some to piss off Guy...

Might have to whip out some Haiku next...

The Guy Who Writes This said...

You will pay TH. You will pay. You can expect to be included in emails from Florence Sage, Jim Dott and Karin Temple. You will be poet spammed. Then I'll copy and paste your poems to Patrick McGoo's Forum board. There goes your political career.