Sunday, April 29, 2007

I'm not buyin' it!

The pink madness is starting to drive me a little nuts.

I absolutely support funding for breast cancer research, so please don't misunderstand me. My grandmother, aunt, and cousin have all been breast cancer survivors--odds are that I, too, will have breast cancer.

My rant today lies in the pink ribbons on every sort of merchandise one can imagine. My mom bought a pink KitchenAid stand mixer. Sure, we didn't need it, but they're awfully nice, and she does a lot of cooking and baking, and that was her Christmas present this year. I could understand getting a white one or even a red or blue one... but no. She went out to spend an extra hundred dollars on a pink one to "support breast cancer research." My sister bought slippers and socks and charms and other things...

What about the other kinds of cancer that kill people every day? Where are the cervical cancer ribbons on coffee mugs? What about brain, lung, stomach, and skin cancer? Don't forget about the guys... prostate cancer is no less serious than breast cancer.

Furthermore, I fail to understand how a pink ribbon can do anything. When I support cancer research, it's generally in a check or with cash directly to a person or research foundation.

When support is overtaken by marketing gimmicks, I stop buying and start asking questions.

No comments: