Friday, May 18, 2007

I Ate Gravy

To any normal person, that seems like a ridiculous blog title. "I ate gravy." Whoop-de-freakin'-do. That is, unless you're... me. Until about two years ago, I vehemently despised gravy. I wouldn't eat it, make it, and even avoided looking at it. Nothing screamed disgusting to me like congealed meat products. Oh, and when someone put gravy on bread or a biscuit... oh that is so wrong!

Tonight, Mom made chicken-fried-steak. I'd never had it before. The steak was good, but I'm not a fan of her breading... and when my parents were in Missouri last week, Mom picked up a packet of Amish country gravy mix to try. We tried it out tonight on the steak and some mashed potatoes. I've always eaten my potatoes plain or with salt and pepper.

I went out on the limb. I tried gravy. I ATE GRAVY. You know what? Kinda tasted like slimy... well... gooey... um... potatoes. Not bad, but not great either.

This week has been good for me, trying new things every day... it's exhausting (surprisingly), but nice to get out of my comfortable ruts every once in a while. While I can't recommend gravy to "spice things up," it's not a bad alternative to dry, plain, bland mashed potatoes.

But Hell will freeze over, pigs will fly, and I'll become very skilled at video games before I'll EVER eat gravy on my bread or biscuits. So Help Me God.

No comments: