Wednesday, May 09, 2007

A Most Memorable Kiss

Summer heat waned in the evening, the night air warmed by the concrete below. We had danced several hours earlier that night, and not wanting to part so soon, we walked along the waterfront, deep in conversation. The full length of the waterfront, all the way down and back we strolled, then across town to a park, and finally around the downtown area one more time... miles upon miles. For hours we shared stories and laughter, lots of smiles and questions. Midnight passed unnoticed. We finally wandered back to the parking lot where we'd left our cars. He walked me to mine, and we stood there, still talking, for another hour. The parking lot was dark and cool, lit only by a center pole and shadowed by bushes and trees. Few cars remained at such a late time, though one car not far away was inhabited by a sketchy character until he grew tired of watching us stand there and drove away.

Remaining stationary for so long after a lengthy trek, I kept shifting my weight to keep myself comfortable, alternately locking my knees. Either I waited too long to shift again, or the blood had finally pooled in my legs. My vision narrowed, and I started swaying. He reached out for me, touching my hand, steadying me. My other arm extended to grab for the car door, but I couldn't see it. He was talking--questions perhaps, but I was unaware of the words. I fumbled to get my car keys out of my pocket, and upon retrieval, he stole them from my hand and unlocked the car door for me just in time for my legs to give out. I slumped into the driver's seat sideways, my legs extending outside the car but not quite reaching the concrete. My head rested upon the headrest, my ear smashed to my head. I could feel his fingers on my hands, a gentle one feeling for a pulse at my wrist. Sitting down helped, and I wearily opened my eyes to find two very concerned ones looking back at me. He asked if I was okay. My body was weak: I struggled to right my head and clear my mind. After several moments of slow, deep breathing, I replied a quiet but distinct, "I'm okay." In truth, I wasn't, but he probably figured that anyway. He wouldn't give my keys back until he was sure I was able to drive home safely, and he took his time making sure. The early morning air stirred the leaves hanging over us. For being downtown, the only sounds were that of the river, a distant car engine, and our breathing. I looked at him purposefully and noticed some hesitancy. That was my only warning before he leaned forward and kissed me.

Whether out of surprise, instinct, or desire I returned that kiss, I will never know. It was a kiss made from the movies: his hand rested along my cheek and jaw, cradling my face, holding the kiss. I don't know how long it lasted, but if ever a moment truly warranted a kiss, that moment was it.

3 comments:

Mom of Three said...

Um, was this recently?????? I'm on pins and needles...

Auntie said...

The clue was "summer", MO3. I don't think summer has hit even Leb-uh-nun yet. Maybe very soon, though.

I think Jaggy has another writing hobby that she needs to explore.

Jaggy said...

I'm not telling who it was, but I do have his permission to post this.

I'm trying to keep this blog around PG-13. That kind of writing isn't really appropriate. However, perhaps a second blog might be in order... that kind of writing has been well explored.

...and you all thought I was boring...