Friday, May 25, 2007

No sleep, again

I don't know what it is about springtime that causes me to not sleep well. Growing up, I was a light sleeper, but I rarely awoke during the night. Even in college when I was busy with work, homework, dancing, and tormenting boys, I'd still sleep seven to nine hours a night. Then, last spring, something changed. I started sleeping three or four hours before waking. Maybe I was really too busy to sleep... that's possible. But summer came, and my sleeping pattern returned. Throughout this last autumn I slept well. In the cold of winter I slumbered well under my electric blanket. I slept pretty well in beds that weren't mine (staying with Emily or Rachel, or with a boyfriend), so I don't think it has anything to do with location. My bed is comfortable, supportive, and when I sleep well, I wake rested. What is it about this time of the year that causes me to not sleep well?

Also, I seem to get more headaches in the spring. I have an inkling that my headaches might be due to the increased sunlight. While most people become depressed in the dark winter, I thrive through the cooler months. I avoid going out into the sun, preferring to do anything outside in the early morning or late evening. If I spend more than an hour in the sun, I'll usually develop a headache and feel sick for the rest of the day. Hiking is one of my favorite activities in the spring and summer, but I stick to shady, forested areas almost exclusively, simply so I can avoid sunlight.

And then the sneezing. Yes, I have allergies. I don't know what I'm allergic to specifically, but it's causing me to sneeze about twenty or thirty times a day right now. I take a daily antihistamine, but it does little to help anymore.

Ugh. Is it autumn yet?

No comments: