Saturday, June 16, 2007

Chronically Dehydrated

I wish I could describe to you the headache I've had today. At first, I thought it was a caffeine withdrawal headache, but it didn't ever hit as hard as those usually do. I thought it was from sitting in a warm car for a long time, but fresh air didn't seem to help me. A friend clued me in tonight (in his typical condescending way) that I'm probably dehydrated again.

Even though I've studied human physiology in detail, and I know how important water is to my survival and general well-being, I don't drink it much. A gallon of water might last me two weeks at times. My day-long hikes rarely involve more than half a liter of water. I even had a camping trip just after high school where I subsisted on a liter of water and four slices of bread (a trip which included hiking Iron Mountain and other adventures).

The fact that I've consumed a single glass of water in the hopes of dashing away this headache astounds me. I know it's not even close to being enough to help, but I feel heavy and weighed down already. The water is making me tired.

I keep telling myself that I'll commit to drinking more water, especially before dancing and hiking. Ten minutes later, I'll forget. Then, when I'm in the middle of a fast Lindy or one of those ridiculously slow and almost painful waltzes, I'll remember how much I need water. But, instead of getting water, I'll wander outside for fresh air, then go back in and dance through the night.

Seems easy, right? Just drink more water. I don't know why I don't! People are constantly reminding me to drink more, but it goes in one ear and out the other. Their words, not the water.

Ugh, my head!!! I'm never letting this happen again.

1 comment:

elle said...

OUCH about the headache. I wish I could encourage you about the water consumption, but I am a VERY bad example. I like to tell myself that coffee is merely coloured water so it should count....sadly the nutritional smarty pants and my own body disagree with my position!

Oh and that slooshy feeling you get in the stomach when you have had too much water........annoys me!