Thursday, October 18, 2007

My Mother was Right (Oh, how that stings!)

I didn't believe her. I couldn't have been wrong. It's not true. I am dreaming!

Alas, I believe her now, and I was wrong. And saying that is like sticking little razors under my fingernails. Cleaning a kitchen floor with a small rag and Pine-Sol solution is much more effective than Swiffering or other stick-mopping. ARGH!

I've been using a Swiffer Wet-Jet on my floors since I moved in. It seemed to pick up lots of dirty stuff. The floor, however, never felt clean. Tonight, I decided I'd had enough. I went after my floor with a microfiber towel, hot water, and Pine-Sol.

I kid you not, my floor changed colors. It was amazing! The water was putrid and had a film on the top of it when I was done. I emptied and re-filled my water bucket and went after it again. The floor looks so much better, and I know it's actually clean.

My mother was right: hand-mopping is the way to go. It's cheaper, cleans better, and leaves a shinier finish on the floor. That damn elbow grease is expensive, and my back might ache for a few days. My ego is bruised and battered. But... she's still right.

What was your mother right about?

No comments: