Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Strike One for Poor Word Choice

The words don't always come out correctly. I know I'm saying what I mean to say, but I also know the words are not being heard as I'd intended. I've fought this battle, trying to figure out how I'm being interpreted, and I'm not sure what to do now.

I don't play games, and I always try to say what I mean. I hope people around me understand that they're not getting some sort of double-speak or code or hidden meanings out of my words. Sure, there might be some witty puns and occasionally a bit of innuendo, but I drip that out heavy enough that a deaf person would get it.

Is it my responsibility to correct people when I feel like my meaning isn't coming across clearly? Or should I allow people to figure me out on their own?

Is this something I should even be worrying about? I suppose I ought to, as it has caused a few small problems with friends, but then again, bending over backward to make sure I'm not stepping on toes or hurting feelings by saying one slightly wrong word is going to render me mute.

If I had it my way, everyone would handle discussions like my Grandma and I do. Get it out straight and to the point. Say your piece carefully and concisely, and move on. Not everyone is like that. I'm learning to be more diplomatic. It's a trait I despise, but I know how important it is (especially when dealing with more sensitive and emotional people).

So, friends, if you feel that you've fallen under my poor and choppy word choices, my frank and (at times) terse quips, please talk to me about it. I realize I need to work on this. I'm learning and growing every day, and your honest communication will help me shape myself for a better tomorrow.

No comments: