Thursday, November 15, 2007

What Reality?

I am amazed at what makes it into movies these days. Every story, no matter how small, seems to be dramatized.

I watched the last two episodes of Band of Brothers recently with a friend. Easy Company's story is incredible, and I'm so thankful to understand (in a way) what the 506th went through. But having just watched Zodiac, why was that made into a movie? What significance did a serial killer play in the course of U.S. History? What, from today, will be made into a movie of tomorrow? Will Paris Hilton watch someone play her in a feature-length film? Will I have to suffer through that (oh I think NOT)?

Why are "reality shows" called "reality" when they're not? They're game shows. They're not unlike Jeopardy or Trivial Pursuit: contestants answer questions or complete tasks to compete for money. Cops is a reality show. The supermarket security cameras are a reality show. Even the news is skewed or sensationalized, and sometimes a story that's completely untrue slides through.

I think that's why I love shows like How it's Made, Unwrapped and Mythbusters. I enjoy watching things that are important, useful, informative, and help me to understand my world a little bit more.

Okay, anything that involves blowing up a cement truck into a zillion pieces has to be reality, right? :)

No comments: