Saturday, December 22, 2007

Dancing Under the Disco Ball

It's 10:45am on a Saturday, and I've already had too much 'weekend.' Last night, I went West Coast Swing dancing at Tigard's Ambassador Ballroom. The night was amazing, and I learned a few new things. I had the fortunate experience of dancing with some very talented dancers, and I enjoyed dancing with friends.

But the disco ball made me sick. Who, in their right mind, puts up a large mirrored ball for "mood lighting"?! The reflections on the floor and walls prevent me from spotting correctly, and every time I look down, the floor looks like it's alive. Many other girls I spoke to had the same problem. First, we're turning in the dance, spinning all over at every whim of our guys. Then, the floor is moving, the walls are moving, and the damn disco ball is moving.

After one particularly over-led dance, I almost lost it. I would have lost it, but there wasn't anything in me to lose. I ate several hours before so that I wouldn't be uncomfortable - surprisingly a good plan. Every once in a while, I'd force myself to sit out and try to focus on something not moving. The disco ball pulled me in. The last Nightclub Two-Step didn't go well, and I owe a friend an apology for the last WCS. I'd already put on street shoes, so I couldn't spin, could barely walk straight, and had zero rhythm left. Awful, awful dancing.

So I was massively motion-sick and still had an hour-and-a-half ride home in a strange vehicle with the stench of corn dogs and wonky pizza and stinky dancers permeating my breathing space. ~retching noise~

I had a great time, I really did! Dancing was fun, and I love the Ambassador Ballroom.

Disco ball: "Someday I think you and I are going to have a serious disagreement." KP? Where's that shotgun?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay, the disco ball will spin no more.