Thursday, December 13, 2007

An Uncanny Resemblance

You remind me of
the person I don't want you to be
the things I don't want to see
the life I walked away from

You remind me of
the one I thought I liked
the long tall swagger and
the shameless bravado

You remind me of
the contemptuous world
the bitter ghosts of my memory
the places I can't go back to

You remind me of
the questions I wouldn't answer
the outright perfidiousness
the nights you cried on my floor

You remind me of
the voice that cares not
the voice that mocks with open cruelty
the voice which makes mine weep in jealousy

You remind me of
the buttons pushed in haste
the sleepless nights
the careless kisses and unfelt hugs

You remind me of
the reasons I better myself
the laughter I seek
the love I have to give

You remind me of
the way things used to be
the way things ought to be
and the way I want to be

No comments: