Thursday, December 27, 2007

Where does the heat go?

Winter is here, and I'm freezing more day by day. My parents always kept their house warm, and I have never lived anywhere with such poor heating. The little cadet heaters in my walls seem to let heat out as much as creating it. They'll turn on below a certain temperature--independent thermostats, of course--but then never shut off by themselves. I must keep the thermostats turned down enough that the heaters don't turn themselves on during the day while I'm at work, and then I run them nearly all evening so that I can feel my feet before I get into bed. At night, I have an electric blanket. That has been my saving grace, although I wouldn't much mind having another [male] body's heat to share... any takers?

Tonight, I discovered that the condensation inside my windows has begun growing some foul, dark mold. Quickly, I wiped down the windows and sprayed them with alcohol all around. Hopefully I've gotten to the beast before it overtakes anything. Nothing more do I detest than things growing or smelling in my house.

Where the heat goes, I do not know. I've put thick curtains over the blinds in the windows. I'm creating draft blockers for the doors leading outside. What can I do about my stove vent, bathroom vent, or laundry vents? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sitting here, I'm in warm pajamas, a flannel-lined silk robe (amazingly, both functional and attractive at the same time), and a down comforter, and I'm still chilly. It may come as no surprise that I am very much one to steal covers, enjoy snuggling, and generally hone in on guys' warmth. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a guy that sees me as someone he's willing to share that warmth with. Cold nights, but they're anything but sleepless.

And don't ask me why, but I have a sudden urge to eat ice cream.

No comments: