Monday, January 28, 2008

Broken Record Blogging

Sometimes I wonder if I repeat myself day after day on my blog. Am I always saying the same basic things with different words or different metaphors? Am I a broken record, or is each post something truly original?

Do you ever read someone else's blog and become bored after only a few weeks? Do you read four or five blogs and find that the content is all the same? "Mommy Blogs" are like this for me. They all seem to be saying, "even though I don't understand this parenting thing, my sweet child is the greatest on earth." The "Green Blogs" are like this as well. Recycle everything, waste nothing, conserve fuel, blah blah blah. Like going green is a fad, not a responsibility. Do it. Then get over it.

I've read some great Mommy Blogs (and some Daddy Blogs), and I have a few favorite Green Blogs as well. The reason I keep going back is that the messages change. The blogs aren't broken records.

What are my broken records? Do I spend too much time discussing my love for ballroom dancing, or do I share too often about my love of working with the elderly? Am I repeatedly discussing the same life lessons? Have I stagnated in my writing?

I know that I can't make every post something fantastic and insightful when I write every day. Sometimes I just can't come up with anything. It is my hope, however, that my daily musings are occasionally fresh, witty, and maybe makes people think a little bit. I don't want to be a broken record.

1 comment:

L.M. said...

I am a new reader of this blog. I stumbled across your page by accident earlier today. I've had the pleasure of going through your writing and although I haven't read everything, you are by no means a broken record. I am caught on your every word.