Sunday, January 06, 2008

From Mourning to Celebration...

Grandpa's memorial service was very nice yesterday. His passing has been hard on my family. A few family members shared some special moments at the service, and the pastor did a fantastic job with the prayers and sentiments. I cried the whole time. Even knowing that Grandpa's passing is for the best, it's difficult to let go. There's a lot of love and memory tied up inside, and I'm working to celebrate now instead of mourn.

Between crying and getting a cold, my nose feels like it has been dragged across sandpaper for hours on end. I don't want to cry anymore, and I sure-as-hell don't want to deal with a drippy nose.

Since Grandpa was in a facility the last year, he had some furniture in his room that is no longer in use. Grandma thoughtfully gave me his two nightstand-dressers and a floor lamp--two things I've very much needed in my apartment. I'm sad that the furniture isn't in use by it's intended owner, but I'm incredibly thankful that I have a good place to put it.

I did go dancing last night, and it was quite possibly the worst dancing experience I've ever had. My friends and I went to Platinum--a local dive of a nightclub in Corvallis. The $2 cover and $1 well drinks didn't exactly make up for the shitty music and terribly atmosphere. People spilling drinks on the dance floor meant our suede-soled dance shoes stuck and smelled awful. I can't say that I'll ever go back there.

Rachel came over tonight. Talking with her made me feel better. Rachel understands how close my family is, and we shared grandparent stories as she recently lost her grandfather as well.

I'd apologize for the last few posts being somewhat depressing, but life isn't always peaches 'n' creme. Writing helps me get out emotions, and while I don't think you need to read everything that's been rattling around inside me this last week, it's making me feel better one slow day at a time. It's honest. My blog (and I) aim to be nothing more and certainly nothing less.

1 comment:

Dennis said...

I think you underestimate how powerful honesty - and putting yourself out there - can be.