Monday, January 21, 2008

Listen Up, Gossips...

I'm growing tired of people asking me a question, and I am never sure how to respond. My sister just got out of a two-year relationship with a guy who was my roommate when they started dating. He and I were friends way back when, but we had a falling out (mostly) and were nothing more than civil to each other the last year and a half. My disdain for him was my business, and I supported my sister regardless of him. Now that their relationship has ended, people keep asking me, "What do you think of this?" and "How does it make you feel?"

How the heck should I feel? I wasn't in the relationship. While I feel for my sister, I'm not her. What do I think? Why does it matter what I think? Why are people so concerned with what I think when they should be focused on my sister?

How do I feel having her in my social circles? How do I feel having her dancing next to me? Why do people want to know this information so much? Why is this knowledge so important?

I love my sister, and I'm truly sad when she's sad, and I'm hurt when she's hurt. I'm also happy for her if she is doing what she wants to be doing and is having fun with it. Her relationships are not all about me, so please stop asking me what I think. It's not my decision.

I've learned that the hard way already. It's time for the rest of you to learn it as well.

No comments: