Saturday, January 19, 2008

More Questions, Few Answers

I know I'm not supposed to sweat the small stuff, but "it's the little things in life that matter."

...Not helpful.

I know I'm supposed to rely on my friends and family for advice, but I'm not supposed to rely on others to tell me who to be or how to think.

...Not helpful.

These two things have been plaguing me all week. Where do we draw the lines? When do we say enough? What small things are important, and what small things should we let go of? What advice is good, and what casual comments need to be glossed over? I know the decision has to be individual and unique, but that doesn't change my dilemma.

What do you do when you know something is right and everyone around you is telling you something different? What do you say to the person trying to force their ideas on you without upsetting the balance?

All questions without answers, but questions still. What can I do? What should I do?

1 comment:

Chris Snethen said...

What do you say to the person trying to force their ideas on you without upsetting the balance?

Ultimately I had to cut that person (my dad) out of my deliberative process and only let him know what was happening once the decision was made. It's a fine line. We've still got a good relationship, I just had to make that one change. I doubt he even noticed.

I'm one who likes to talk out what's going on. And I still do with friends and other family members, like my brother. But for some reason my parents believe by talking things through, I'm somehow looking for advice when I'm not.

It's cliche, but you're the one who has to live with your decisions. No one else can. If you believe your decision is correct, then you need to follow through. When it works out, you'll be surprised when the people who were initially critical start telling you they were with you all along.