Saturday, January 12, 2008

Not a Dancer, but a Person who Can

I don't identify as a dancer. Seems kinda funny since I dance as much as possible...

I've been dancing two years as of this week, two amazing years of growth both socially and physically. I can't claim expertise in any dance form, but I'm not half-bad at a ballroom function. I also find a bit of confidence in Savoy Lindy with a few moves (and shhh, don't tell, but I am learning to like smooth Lindy as well, not for it's flavor but for it's leads). I've danced with hundreds of people up and down the valley, and I've even given my hand at teaching.

But I don't identify as a dancer. I don't look like a dancer. I'm not smooth and graceful on the floor, and you definitely wouldn't get the "graceful" idea as you watch me walk down the sidewalk. I'm not stick-thin and athletic. And I'm not into ballroom gowns or sequins or expensive high heels. People see me and would never guess that I dance in the evenings. I don't look the part.

I don't introduce myself as a dancer. I am not ashamed of it, but unless someone asks me what I do for fun, I don't bring it up. I simply don't think of it. Dancing is something I do, not who I am. It's FUN! and it's good for me (and you, yes you too). But it's not my whole life. I don't sit around thinking about it all the time. I don't think about moves in my head or about great dances I've had...

Dancing is not a trend in my life: it's a hobby that I hope to continue for many years. Dancing does not define me, however, and I want to make that clear. I blog about it often. While it is important to me, it's not everything.

I don't identify as a dancer. I identify as someone who has a dancing side to me. This important distinction has been difficult to learn and own. I do.

No comments: