Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Not Quite Nirvana

A friend asked me a simple question today: "What do you want to do this weekend?" Nothing more or less, just that question. I couldn't come up with anything in particular... no dances or events that I know of, and I've seen friends and family recently.

But then I got to thinking. What do I really want to do? What could I do? Regardless of money, time, space, or people, what would I do?

I'd love to drive up to Portland and spend some time at Powell's, and I'd be quite happy left to my own devices in a bookstore for the day. I would enjoy spending some quality time with my camera as well. Movies, cooking, dancing, or simply talking to friends... any of it would be good.

I think that's something that sets me apart. Sure, I would like to see more of the world and do glitzy things on occasion, but I like where I am. I'm content with my life, with my situation, with my friends and family and work... That contentment shouldn't be misinterpreted as being stale or that I have a lack of ambition--hardly. I'm content with how my life has progressed, and I'm hopeful the next turn will yield such satisfactory results.

What do I want to do this weekend? I want an adventure, even if it's only in a book.

No comments: