Monday, February 04, 2008

I confess... I went to Powell's... and I bought books!

It's time to let the cat out of the bag: I went to Powell's City of Books this weekend. I bought books. I don't really have the money to be buying books right now, but I couldn't stand it anymore. That, and a friend had the time to go up with me. It was a splendid adventure.

Powell's parking lot scared me a bit... if you can find a parking spot on the street, I recommend taking it. Nevertheless, if there is no parking on the street in a five-block radius, the lot will do. Just make sure your car is the size of a Volkswagen Beetle, that you can turn on a dime, and that you get your ticket validated.

Bookstores bring me happiness, and any bookstore that has books on sale or at very low prices... well, now, that's just spiffy. I love walking up and down the stacks seeing and smelling history and knowledge. Most of my time was divided between the Red, Purple, and Rose rooms. So many books...

What books did I get? Two by Stephen E. Ambrose: The Wild Blue and Nothing Like it in the World; and Darby Conly's Loserpalooza - A Get Fuzzy Treasury. I also got a calendar at 75% off (price, not months, ha!). I know lots of people don't like Ambrose because he plagiarized some of his work. Just because it's plagiarized doesn't mean it's false. He's a fantastic storyteller, and I don't care what anyone else thinks. I love his books. The third book... well... let's just say I have a thing for Bucky Katt and we'll leave it at that. :)

I drove up to the big city, and my copilot never got me lost. He did a great job! Of course, my sister ranks #1 as a copilot, but since we click on a genetic level, I'd say I'm biased. My friend and I only got stuck in the one-ways one time and even that was only for about five minutes. And nobody ever honked at me when I messed up in traffic. Sure, I got cut off a few times, but the drivers were nice about cutting me off... I think. I grew up in a town with about ten stoplights, so Portland traffic scares the shit out of me. Powell's was worth it.

Talk about a change in mood. Getting out of town for a few hours, spending some time looking at new things, and buying books that will transport me out of my little apartment for a few hours... just what I needed. YAY for books!

2 comments:

Dennis said...

What was wrong with Powells' parking? I prefer it to the street =)

Also, I *need* to borrow that Get Fuzzy Treasury at some point... like an addict needs a new addiction.

Jeff W said...

: )