Thursday, February 21, 2008

I'm not a "People Person"

I think I get it from my father. I have to. Because Mom's the opposite. Mom's a "people person," and Dad and I aren't. I'm not "anti-people..." That might get a little complicated when it comes to dating and such, but I don't feel the need to surround myself with people.

Today's gripe: people consumed with other people's affairs. Any sentence starting with, "Oh my gosh, did you hear...!" should not come my way. I don't care. "Did you see what they did!?" and "Look at that!" are two more nails-on-the-chalkboard sayings to me. Unless it's a magic show, I'm not terribly concerned.

I'm sure I'll hear all about it tomorrow, all about how I'm a ruthless, uncaring, selfish person. I try hard not to be selfish and uncaring. I do care about the human condition, about family and friends, and yes, I do care about your starving second-cousin's best friend's uncle's mother-in-law. But I don't need to be told every detail about that person's life or hear for the fifth time about their affliction. I don't care who's pregnant (outside the family), and I couldn't be less interested in who got what job or how much they paid for their car or *gasp* what their hair color is now. I don't care who is living with whom, and I certainly don't need to know about what they do behind closed doors. I wouldn't want someone talking about me like that, so I make a point not to discuss it with others.

And I'm so tired of people asking, "Do you think so-and-so is a virgin?" or "Do you think they've slept together?" First, how the hell am I supposed to know?! Second, why is that important to you? If we are not to judge others, and you aren't in a position to ask that person yourself, you have no business knowing. GET OVER IT.

I don't keep up on fashion, on hairstyles, or on music. I don't know everything there is to know about any celebrity, and I can't say as though I feel like I'm missing out on any of the latest gossip. It's just not my thing. If you're following the law, respecting others, and not stepping on my toes, I don't care what you do. And don't take it personally when I don't gossip about you to others.

It's not that I'm anti-people... much...

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I still lived in Corvallis I would thank you in person for this post. You are not the only one that thinks this, At least 2 people do. If some one starts to say you didnt hear this from me, I tell them THEN DONT TELL IT TO ME! (sorry for the caps)

Anonymous said...

I was looking for info on jobs for people who are not 'people' persons and this site came up. I'm not the only one. I find that satisfying. Good Job.

Anonymous said...

Thank Goodness - I thought it was just me! As much as I love interacting with people and get on brilliantly one-on-one, I'm terrible in a group, doing all that social interaction/after work drinks/knowing everyone's business, it's just not me and is absolutely draining. How refreshing - thank you. Ku - London

Anonymous said...

This is good to know, that there are other people like myself and you sound normal to me! Right now, I'm working in retail at some sickeningly upbeat clothing store -- a job that I truly hate -- and the managers disgust me. With this job I have come to the conclusion that I am simply not a people person and I never will be AND that there is nothing wrong with that. I prefer to chat with people one-on-one or myself with two others, but I'm not into groups... I don't care for the pettiness and little b.s. cliques. A few years ago I thought I was a misfit freak and would go out of my way to make friends just to wind up disappointed. But this is who I am and I love it. I only hate that other people can't accept that and get off my case about it. I don't need 10,000 friends... I have only a few that I've known for years and that's all I need. Thanks for sharing.

Phil said...

I just spent New Year's Eve alone and had a great time. I listened to music, had some good food, and sat on my balcony with a beer, watching the fireworks at midnight. I turned my phone off because I knew my friends and family would call. I'll talk to them tomorrow. I like people, andd get along with them just fine- I just prefer my own company most of the time. Happy New Year!

Victoria said...

Wow! I was just told today that although I'm professional and I'm not mean, rude or nasty to patients I have an attitude because I don't smile and I'm not friendly. Really? I told them in my interview I am not a people person but noooo they needed an office manager bad and failed to tell me that I would have to give warm fuzzy feelings to people all day. Grow up! You come to the doctor to receive professional service if you want a freakin friend find your own cause I ain't the one!! Thanks you for your "Normal" blog. Glad it's not just me!

Ajith said...

Really Nice post. You just pwned 99% of the people on the planet. You put it really nicely (I should admit that I also gossip sometimes :P )

Anonymous said...

hoho.like like like

Anonymous said...

I am happy to know i am not the only one. I was thinking i was defective. No one else i know is like me. I don't care to talk unless necessarily needed. I dont care about who ever did this or that. It's none of my business. If I'm not being hurt or my family then its not my problem. I can't control the weather or who is in office or what they do while there. So lets not make small talk about the subject. I just want to do my job and go home. Why am i mean just because i don't care to go to a birthday party of someone i don't know? If i could find a woman like me just think of the fights i would no longer endure. I'm not a people person.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with this! I'm not a people person at all. I have a few close friends, and a boyfriend who means the world to me, but nothing winds me up more when I hear about people slagging me off behind my back because I'd rather stay at home and read a book that go to a party. I just wish people could accept that not everybody is a major people person! It's good to know that there's other people out there who feel the same way as I do! :)

Anonymous said...

Unknown said:

Im exactly like the guy who posted the articles, because of this im shuned at school and everyone thinks im wierd. my school is filled with annoying gossipers and "popular people". its nice to know that im not the only one who feels this way