Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Not Getting Personal

It's not a secret, and it's not supposed to be a secret. But when I say I spent some time with "a friend," I don't want you to get mad at me for not saying who I spend my time with. If those other people concern you, I'll let you know. I don't leave out details like that casually--in fact, I'm very open about most parts of my life. But I also don't feel like everyone has to know about every second of my day. Last night, two friends were here. We did stuff. Yeah, stuff. I was with friends and we did stuff. Big deal if you want to know their names. If I wanted you to know, I'd tell you who they were.

Likewise with where I've been. If I give a general statement like, "I was on campus," or "I went to Portland," it's not to hide where I was. Sometimes it's easier to say "on campus" than "in the West Ballroom of the Memorial Union," especially if you don't know the campus well.

I'm not secretive, though I do keep secrets if you share them with me. I also don't want you to get offended if I don't use proper nouns. It's nothing personal. That's the point.

No comments: