Sunday, March 02, 2008

I finally found some jeans. PHEW!

I've been searching for new jeans for over a year. Jeans aren't particularly hard to find, certainly not. But when you have curves like mine, you'll understand. I'm not curvy in an overweight way, but rather in an "all hips, no arse" sort of way. If I can find jeans (or any pants, really) that fit perfectly around my hips, the pants often have a huge gap at my lower back.

On top of that, I don't really like the super-low-rise jeans. I'm not a size 2, and I like to be able to sit down in my pants, so the super-low-rise look isn't working. But I don't like jeans that dig into my ribs when I sit down either.

AND then I have to deal with tapered, boot cut, and flared pants. Tapered pants must have a place somewhere... maybe... that I can't think of. And flared pants or bell-bottoms have ONE PURPOSE: for sailors. They look stupid on anyone else. (Ok, John Travolta can wear them, but only if he's dancing.) Boot cut jeans are slightly flared and can look attractive, but I'm still not a fan. What happened to straight-leg pants? Not straight-but-curves-out-a-little, but straight-leg pants?

Oh, and my biggest gripe: stretch! When I'm looking for jeans, I'm looking for one thing in particular that separates jeans from other pants: DENIM. Now I'm new to the world of fabric and stitching (ha!), but since when has denim been a stretchy material? I know squeezing your overweight body into pants you shouldn't be wearing requires a certain amount of "stretch" in the fabric. There are those of us, however, who don't want stretch. We want the authentic look and feel of denim.

Fading a pair of jeans is the owner's responsibility, not the manufacturer's. I want to wear the bald spots, accidentally tear the holes, and fray the ends myself. Who, in their right mind, pays for pre-broken jeans?! ABSURD!

Room for my hips and snug at the slightly lower waist, straight legs, and just-past-the-heel in length: is that so damn difficult to make?!

HO! But I found them! I've been wearing Levi's 501 button-fly jeans that had all the features I loved for several years. In my quest for something different, I FOUND SOMETHING ELSE! I found Lucky Jeans. Thankfully I didn't have to pay the full $90 price tag (and scored some for under $30). They fit in all the right places, don't stretch, and aren't pre-faded. Best of all: they look gooooooooooooood. :)

Too bad I got the only pair in my size in the whole store!

No comments: