Sunday, March 30, 2008

I'm not cut out for wearing these clothes!

What is it with women's fashion lately? Did they choose the colors for spring off an ice cream truck? Did they choose patterns out of a curtain store? And sizing... since when did small suddenly mean shorter sleeves and belly-baring lengths? How low will necklines go before we give up on clothes entirely?

I have to be the most uniquely shaped woman on earth seeing how hard it is for me to find clothes that fit. I'm not even disproportionate. Depending on the manufacturer, I'm somewhere between a size 6 and a size 8, somewhere between a small and a medium. No feature on my body is overly large, and all of my anatomy is, um, correctly located.

I'm a professional that can wear blue jeans to work, so I try to find casual-but-still-dressy-ish long-sleeved shirts for everyday clothes. Unfortunately, this style doesn't exist. Everyone, and I do mean everyone, makes their dressier shirts with 3/4-length sleeves which I hate. And if the shirts are short-sleeved, they have those awful cap sleeves. Seriously, what the hell are those? If I'm wearing cap sleeves and raise my arms, the whole shirt rises six inches. Not something I want to experience mid-spin in a swing dance.

Don't get me wrong, I'm cool showing a bit of skin. I can do it, too, and will on occasion. But, like all things, there's a time and place for it. I don't consider my professional life or my relaxing-on-the-weekend life the time or place for cleavage. If necklines become wider or lower, the shirts aren't even going to stay on! No joking. And adding a hood to the back of the sweater doesn't help matters, nor does it make the wearer look any more intelligent. UGH!

How thin will shirts become before we cease wearing clothes altogether? I was holding a t-shirt in my hand the other day that was so thin, I could see my own skin through both layers. I won't buy shirts anymore that require me to wear something under them (dress shirts excepted). If I have to wear two t-shirts or a tank underneath a shirt, what's the point of staying cool by only wearing one shirt?

My rant about pants borders on droning at this point, so I'll spare you those details.

Is there a store or brand that manufactures thick cotton long-sleeved t-shirts with full-length sleeves and a hip-length (but not skin-tight) hemline? What about form-fitting clothes that don't have boat necks or those dreaded cap sleeves? Oh, and all for reasonable (read: cheap!) prices.

Is a little bit of comfort and modesty (while still looking sexy) so much to ask?!

1 comment:

http://www.northcoastoregon.com/ said...

Nice looking blog ya got here....I'll have to stop by more often....Probably not 15 times a day like the fan club folks....

Funny that I saw the title on the OrBlogs 5 clicks thingy and I knew it was your post just by the title....