Monday, March 17, 2008

Sunrise from my Front Door









Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower.
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.
-
Robert Frost

You won't often see poetry here, and I don't post pictures with any frequency. But my day was long, my dinner's in the oven, and I don't want to sit at a computer tonight. This popular poem appears in S.E. Hinton's The Outsiders, and I remember that we had to memorize the poem as 7th graders. It always stuck with me. When I got up and saw the sunrise, the poem was the first thing that popped into my head. As I've grown, I've learned the truth in the poem. Dawn is still my favorite time of day.

3 comments:

WHIT-O-RONI said...

tis pretty damn amazing. nice job. the sky is a'fire!

chris farrell said...

That's a good one. Here's another:

I dwell in Possibility-
A fairer House than Prose-
More numerous of Windows-
Superior-for Doors-

Of Chambers as the Cedars-
Impregnable of Eye-
And for an Everlasting Roof
The Gambrels of the Sky-

Of Visitors-the fairest-
For Occupation-This-
The spreading wide my narrow Hands
To gather Paradise-
-Emily Dickinson

Amanda said...

Mm - beautiful! Whenever I go walking in the woods, Robert Frost is the voice in my head. Probably thanks to Mr. Wells :) I love dawn too, it holds so much promise.