Thursday, March 20, 2008

That Darn Independent Streak

I think I get it from my father. I absolutely detest relying upon others to do things for me. Rarely have I worked as part of a team and enjoyed the process. My ways are too independent, too focused, to allow someone else in on the methodology.

I am not a clingy girl. From what I understand, most guys don't like clingy girls, but from what I've experienced, they want a woman who will dote upon them every second. I'm not that person. I love to cook and clean for people, but I also love my own space and time. I treasure my independence. For that reason alone, I am hesitant to have children at this time in my life.

I don't have the urge to share every thought or feeling with the world, even though I do share quite a bit on the blog. I don't need someone else to tell me right from wrong, and I cannot stand people making plans for me. My father has always been like that. You can offer ideas or thoughts, but you can't change his mind once it's made. He says what he means, means what he says, and doesn't mess around with unnecessary time expenditures.

So I'm a girl that doesn't like to do girly things all the time. I have no problem doing things on my own, and I don't care if that makes me look stand-off-ish or boring or whatever. I'm not insecure about my independence. Don't confuse that for being aloof, though, because I'm not aloof. I just like being alone sometimes. It's okay.

I'm sure things will change as I age, and I'm sure things will change when I find Mr. Right. Until then, though, I'm not relying on anyone else to get my job done or my life in order. I can do it, so I should.

No comments: