Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Facebook E-vitations Anyone? Anyone?

It's all about the e-vitation and who's going to what events. And I'm not all about that.

Facebook, the social networking site that seems to have taken over my friends' lives, has an original application called "Events." On this application, a user can set up an event and invite all of their friends to it. The events can be totally private or 100% public, or they can be partially open to small crowds. If you are invited to an event, you simply RSVP with "Attending," "Maybe Attending," or "Not Attending." Users can see each guest list by type (who is and is not attending), and they can view more information about the event.

But I'm seeing an alarming trend: every happening moment seems to be marked with an event. Sure birthday parties and weddings deserve E-vitations, as do cultural events or other community goings-on. However, I'm not sure you needed to create an event to invite six friends along on your shopping trip. I'm not sure we need to have a full guest list for every single dance (seriously, will it matter in six minutes?). Not everyone RSVP's to every event, so the guest lists aren't even accurate. Furthermore, sending invitations to a public event is rather redundant. We all know about, and we'll go whether we RSVP on Facebook or not.

My friends continue to send me these E-vitations, and I continue to either ignore them or mark "Maybe Attending." If someone really wants to know about my potential attendance, they can e-mail me, instant message, text message, call, or just ask me in person. Sometimes I don't know and can't give an answer right away, so I won't say yes or no. That happens too.

I think I'm going to create an un-event. A moment in time, ambiguously in the future, located somewhere unimportant, with people that may or may not show up. I'm going to call it "Spontaneous Event," because it will miraculously happen in that perfect moment when no one expects it. After all, aren't those the events to live for?

No comments: