Saturday, April 05, 2008

Jaggy's Pet Peeves

1. Do NOT be late. Don't make me wait for you, and don't make anyone more important than you wait. Oh, and here's a clue: everyone is more important than you. We had a saying when I was in high school that stuck with me... "To be early is to be on time, to be on time is to be late, and to be late is to be dead." Do NOT be late.

2. Do NOT invite yourself over or along for the ride. If your presence is requested, then agree (or not), and leave it at that. Just because you were invited along the last six times doesn't guarantee you a spot this time. Oh, and NEVER invite yourself along and then bring friends. It's bad enough that you weaseled your way into the situation, and then you double the party with unexpected guests... bad form, especially if it's a function when food is being served.

The first rule comes with few exceptions, so don't think I'm a hard-liner. If you're simply meeting up with friends for a movie and are going to be five minutes late, big deal. I'm not talking about one or two friends showing up a couple minutes late to a casual afternoon outing. I'm not going to get mad if someone has to drive two hours to a family gathering and is half an hour later than they planned. Sometimes it really doesn't matter. But if a time was set, it's a matter of respect to let people know if you're going to be unreasonably late.

And the second rule comes with even fewer exceptions. One of my friends has an open-door policy with me, and likewise, he's welcome here anytime I'm home. But he damn well better call first to make sure it's okay if he stops by. You don't just show up. You don't! I wouldn't even invite myself along on a trip with my parents, and I don't visit them unannounced even though I'm welcome at any time and have a house key.

These are my pet peeves. Be on time, and don't invite yourself over.

No comments: