Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Music Escapes Me

I went to campus last night to play one of the pianos there, and I'm a bit disappointed in my musical talent lately. While I have a keyboard in my apartment, I don't have or make time to play it often. Last night must have also been an "off" night or something, because I couldn't even get a single scale in without a mistake. Every song was bad. It's like I forgot how to read music or something.

The piano is one of my escapes, one of my happy places. I can sit there for hours with good music. Unfortunately, my lack of skill and patience render me inept at most songs, but I still try. My back can't take piano benches for more than half an hour anymore (seriously, did they make those things harder in the last five years?). I'm doing all I can to blame my imperfections on things around me, but in the end, it's my own fault I'm not better. I could play better, but the desire and time commitment are two things I haven't been able to muster lately.

When I was in high school, someone told me I wouldn't have time to play the piano when I was in college. They were wrong. I played nearly every day all four years. But now that I'm living on my own and have chores and duties and work, I really don't have time like I'd hoped. These are supposed to be some of the best years of my life, yet I can't find fifteen minutes every day to sit with the black and white keys of my keyboard.

Sometimes I feel like I'm not cut out for this whole "adult" thing.

2 comments:

mediaboy said...

As someone who plays 4-hour gigs 4-5 times a week every December (yay Christmas carols at the mall!), let me tell you a secret: Get a pillow.

It doesn't have to be a particularly thick one... anything with a little padding goes a long way.

If you're like me and you also have bad form and play from your wrists instead of your elbows, then getting braces with the metal splints isn't a bad idea either. Bonus feature: open-palm glissandos!

chris farrell said...

Maybe you were just having an off day.