Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Proust Questionnaire from Inside the Actor's Studio

From Inside the Actor's Studio, I present the Proust Questionnaire with my own answers:

1. What is your favorite word?
Swoon. I like how it sounds, and I think it could mean so much more if we let it. "That was swoontastic!" or "He's swoony." It has such a ring to it.

2. What is your least favorite word?
Sleuthing. Why on earth did such an awesome activity get such a horrible title?

3. What turns you on?
Crafting, creating, brainstorming... I love the act of making things.

4. What turns you off?
Narrow-mindedness and being closed to hearing new ideas, especially avoiding Truth and the things that make someone uncomfortable.

5. What sound or noise do you love?
As an Oregonian, it is my duty to say "the rain." I love hearing it on the roof and in puddles. I also get a lift from hearing a perfectly tuned piano being played well. My most favorite sound, though, is silence. I like being in quiet areas more than loud ones.

6. What sound or noise do you hate?
The sound of a metal spoon clunking against the bottom of a tin can as you scrape the last bits out of the can. And real vomiting noises are bad, too.

7. What is your favorite curse word?
"Shit-ass" holds a special place in my heart. I'm a big fan of "damn" as well.

8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
I still want to be a meteorologist. I'd love to chase storms and be scientific and nerdy and get paid to do it. For as much as technology has improved our lives (or not, you decide), we still look to the sky to see what we ought to wear every day. It's humbling to know that even though we think we've mastered the earth, Mother Nature reins supreme.

9. What profession would you not like to do?
You know that show on Discovery Channel, Dirty Jobs? Think about it: for a living, that guy does some of the nastiest jobs on earth. Every day. Not just one dirty job, but all of them. Now think about his cameramen. They go to all the same places, and sometimes they're stuck in the same muck and stink. But they don't get the celebrity status, and they probably don't get the same wages. No way am I doing that job.

10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
This is kind of a trick question that I've been working on a response to for several days. First, I thought Saint Peter was at the Pearly Gates. Don't I have to get through that line first? And second, I think most people who answer this question give their answer to "What do you think God will say when you reach the Pearly Gates?" What would I like to hear God say? "Welcome! Your family is waiting to the right, and here is your Steinway grand piano." But what do I think God will really say? "Go to Hell, go directly to Hell, do not pass 'go,' do not collect $200." Okay, maybe not that, but according to one bit of scripture, since I've broken a few of those commandment thingies, I'm toast. According to other scripture, since I believe in Jesus and that He died for me, I'm golden. It's not that easy, I know. I'm not perfect, and I'm going to make more mistakes. In all truth, my hope for the afterlife falls a distant second to living the life I'm in right now. So when I get there to the Pearly Gates and finally meet The Big Guy, my hope is that He puts out His hand and simply nods me into Heaven.

No comments: