Tuesday, June 03, 2008

My name is Jaggy, and I'm a caffeine addict.

I guess the first step is admitting you have a problem. The second step, then, is probably fixing said problem, right? I'm workin' on it.

My caffeine vehicle is Diet Coke. At one point, I was drinking up to three cans of Diet Coke a day starting with breakfast, and I'd usually find a fountain pop at some point. I'd nurse a can for three hours before sucking it dry. On Saturdays when I didn't get my pop on the same schedule as a weekday, I'd get headaches. Sundays were usually better, but sometimes I'd get headaches then, too. Long ago, I promised myself that if I ever felt like I was becoming addicted to caffeine, I'd stop drinking it.

The time has come. I'm a full-fledged addict. And I'm doing something about it.

One month ago, I was opening one can behind another. Sunday of this last weekend saw me only consume twelve ounces of Diet Coke. I've spent four weeks weaning myself down to one can a day. The good news is that my headaches have disappeared almost entirely. I feel a ton better and am much less tense. This could also be due to a certain boy, but I'm going to chalk it up to my own self-control, k?

But I've never been one to drink water. Instead of drinking pop, I'm simply not drinking anything. This is not good. I'm saving money, but I'm even more dehydrated than I used to be. So now I find myself trying to think of non-water-flavored drinks to compensate for my decreased liquid intake. I don't like fruit juices (except apple juice, and that's only when I'm sick). Crystal Light has great lemonade, and I like their raspberry stuff. I don't drink coffee, tea, milk, or cocoa. Hot spiced cider is fine in January, but I'm not really into it this time of the year. I do like Propel, so I have that on hand (literally, right now, making it hard to type).

Points to me for recognizing a problem and fixing it myself. No points for being stupid and not drinking more water. What do you drink when you're in class or at work or sitting at home reading my blog?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Water. Add lemon, lime or orange slices to a pitcher of water in the fridge and refill from that. That's really all I drink.

Jaggy said...

Thanks for the comment! I don't like fruit, though, especially citrus fruit. Good idea, bad execution (on my part).