Sunday, June 15, 2008

Root Soup

I threw together a pot of soup today from simple ingredients, and it's actually pretty good. I didn't want a heavy cream-based soup, and I didn't want to cook meat either. What came out of my kitchen tinkering is a recipe I call "Root Soup." It's vegan-friendly, but it'd also be good with some chicken or turkey shredded into it, or even some sausage or beef. I added bacon bits for flavor--these are totally optional.

4 large Russet potatoes (Yukon Gold or red potatoes might also work - need to test)
1 medium white onion
2 liters (about half the stock pot) of water
5 bouillon cubes (I used chicken, but beef or vegetable would work, low-sodium if desired)
Black pepper, garlic powder, salt, crushed red pepper flakes, and parsley to taste
1 tablespoon bacon bits (since I don't use salt often, and it adds a bit of flavor)

I chopped the onion and sautéed it until the onion was clear. Then, I added the water, spices, and bouillon. While the water came to a boil, I cubed potatoes into bite-sized pieces. Once the potatoes joined the other ingredients, I let the whole thing boil for half an hour or so. Some tasting ensued, but I pretty much left the pot alone. Not bad! I think some carrots and celery would help things out next time. In a pinch, this pot could feed several people. I enjoyed the simplicity of my Root Soup. Maybe I'll try it again another weekend.

No comments: