Friday, June 27, 2008

Will you hold my hand?

I saw Wall-E tonight, and I'm both overjoyed and heartbroken in the same instant. The movie was fantastic (especially the opening cartoon)! But I wish The Boy could have been there with me. My sister really wanted to see the movie, and with both of our boyfriends out of town, we made it a girls' night out. My sister is great fun, and we both enjoyed the film.

Something about the movie, though, made my heart weep. When Wall-E and Eve try to hold each other's hands, oy! The Boy and I do that, too. Doesn't matter where we're going or what we're doing, we're hand-in-hand. It was such a natural thing for us, I guess... and we both love it. Maybe it's because we're dancers. Maybe it's because we like having the other person close to us. I don't know what the reason is, but the fact remains: we're hand-holders through and through.

Last weekend, when Mom and I were walking down the street, I instinctively reached out and groped for that familiar hand. After groping about in thin air, I realized he wasn't next to me, and a tiny part of me cried out. Ugh, I sound so sappy, but it's true.

Go see Wall-E. But make sure you have someone who you can hold hands with when you go. :)

1 comment:

crallspace said...

Just the movie trailer alone was enough for me. Those sound effects would get on my nerves.

I don't know if it's a generational thing, but Pixar has always rubbed me wrong. It seems to cater to short attention spans using character traits of shallow, annyoing people in their characters' personalities. Plus, the voices are too unrealistic and often don't fit the face/body. And it's obviously computer graphics, which add an element of artificialness. (is that a word)?

But when it comes to the original Fantasia, the Lion King, Mary Poppins, etc., I'm in awe.